January 13 – 17, 2018 the Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH) will hold its International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH), in Los Angeles.
As augmented and virtual reality evolve, the new technology creates a mandate for clinical educators leveraging game-based learning and simulation to keep pace. Clinical Playground’s Dr. Eric B. Bauman will present several topics specific to best educational practices for clinical education subject to emerging and innovative technology.
SSH Forum on Modeling and Simulation:
Dr. Eric B. Bauman will co-facilitate the Breakout Session on Emerging Technology with Carla Pugh, MD, Ph.D., FACS from the University of Wisconsin – Madison, Department of Surgery. Dr. Pugh is the Susan Behrens, MD Professor of Surgical Education, Vice Chair for Education and Patient Safety, and Vice Chair for Innovation and Entrepreneurship in the Department of Surgery.
Invited innovators presenting at this session include:
- Reid Adams, and Justin Field, MD from St. Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital in Pontiac MI, discussing custom simulator creation processes
- Angela Robert from periopsim.com discussing VR/AR
- Yu-hui Huang from the University of IL – Chicago who will discuss 3D modeling related to reconstructive treatment processes
- Eric Gantwerker, MD from University of Texas – Southwestern and Children’s Health who will highlight his work with Level Ex on game-based learning, visualization, and medical Education
General IMSH Sessions:
- VR 101 Panel Discussion with colleagues Angela Robert, Jennifer Javornik and Reid Adams
- Dr. Bauman will facilitate the Serious Games and Virtual Reality Arcade & Showcase with colleagues from the SSH Serious Games & Virtual Environment Special Interest Group. He will present several projects with Jon Brouchoud of Arch Virtual, and Jennifer Javornik of Filament Games.
Clinical professionals must approach the adoption of these practices in an empirically valid and repeatable manner.
Dr. Gregory E. Gilbert will present the following.
- An Exploration of the Scope of Simulation in Acute Care Hospitals in the U.S. (Gilbert M, Morse C.J., Gilbert G.E., Kipper K, Markey L, Arcaro L, Fey M.)
- Psychometric evaluation of the SET-M in medical Education (Leighton, K. & Gilbert, G.E.)
- Soft Skills that Create Roadblocks to Learning: Navigating Challenges of Mindset and Emotional Intelligence in Debriefing (Fortner, S., Rask, J., Gilbert, G.E., Rao, D., and Kennedy, K.)
- Understanding Generalizability Theory – How to Read and Understand Data Arising from the use of this Useful Measurement Method Without Needing aPh.D.D in Psychometrics (McBride, M., Adler, M., Calhoun, A.W., Gilbert, G.E., and Lineberry M.)
- Experimental Research and Design: The Next Level (Scerbo M., and Gilbert, G.E.)